Friday, November 11, 2011

Excuses, Excuses and Creamy Cauliflower Soup

Somehow this week has gone by and I have gotten little to nothing accomplished. Nobody tells you that after the months and months of planning a wedding you'll come back and be completely unmotivated to do anything- or maybe it's just me. The week before the wedding I gained superhuman strength, waking up disgustingly early and going nonstop until late at night. The only other time in my life that I've been able to survive on such little sleep was when I first started seeing Carl, back in the days of scandal and secrecy. So here's to you, Carl, for being the only person able to hinder my dedication to a full 10 hours of sleep each night (and sometimes a nap during the day). Now that's true love!

I've given myself a free pass this week; after all, I was getting adjusted to being back to work and being back on land. My equilibrium was so off when we first got back, I felt drunk and loopy for a few days after getting off the ship. Now I'm back to normal, and thanks to today's holiday I finally feel caught up on sleep. I'm ready to tackle the huge mess in our house, get back into an exercise routine, and be an all-around productive person.  Last night after work we drove to the Bussells' house in Irmo to collect our dogs and visit a little before we head back to Charleston. Carl and Ernie are out kayaking (brrr!), which left me the opportunity to post a belated Recipe Thursday recipe.

Creamy Cauliflower soup comes from this cookbook:



We registered for this after participating in a CSA in 2010. It seemed we were always looking for new ways to prepare our many weekly vegetables. We planted our own patio garden last spring and opted not to do the CSA, but the heat got the best of a lot of the plants since they were in pots, so we didn't harvest as much as we'd hoped. It's likely that we'll participate again next year, since it's such a great support to our local farmers and we're getting organic produce at a fraction of the cost of grocery store produce. Anyways, I highly recommend the cookbook. Many of its recipes, including this one, are very simple and feature only a few easy-to-find ingredients. In fact, the only ingredients for this soup are cauliflower, water, onion, and salt and pepper. Here it is, in the bread bowls we got from Publix, garnished with cheddar cheese and extra pepper (and featuring some of our new kitchen items!):



Next time I make this I might try using vegetable broth instead of water, and adding a potato to make it a little more hearty and flavorful. The bread bowls and cheese complemented it nicely, though, and we really like it as is.

Well, I'm off to go play with the dogs a little more and enjoy this cool fall day. Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment