Thursday, December 29, 2011

Recipe Thursday: Swiss Green Beans

I'm going to start off this week's recipe post with an apology. Somehow I have managed to make this recipe TWICE in the past week and neglected to take pictures of it both times. My mom made this green bean casserole recipe one year as an alternative to the traditional cream of mushroom soup/fried onion variety, and we Wonuses were immediately hooked. I brought it to our Secret Santa work party and then made it again for the Bussells' Christmas day feast.

Swiss Green Beans
-serves 8



2 (1 lb.) cans French style green beans                       1 c. sour cream                       
1 T margarine (or butter)                                            ½ tsp. grated onion
2 tbsp. flour                                                                ¼ lb. grated swiss cheese
1 tsp. salt                                                                    1 c. crushed corn flakes
¼ tsp. black pepper                                                    1 tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp sugar                                                                 

Drain green beans.  Melt margarine. Add flour, salt, pepper, sugar, sour cream, and grated onion.  Fold the beans into the above mixture.  Spread in a 2 qt. buttered casserole dish.  Sprinkle the top with Swiss cheese.  Mix the corn flakes and melted butter, and top beans and cheese dish with the buttered, crushed, corn flakes.  Bake in 375 oven for 30 minutes.  

The second time around there was no Swiss cheese available at the grocery store so I made it with monterrey jack instead and it turned out just as good. If I make this again any time soon I'll post a picture. I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year's- I'll be back Sunday with my week 1 resolution results!

No comments:

Post a Comment