Saturday, March 17, 2012

Spring Break

This past week was such an epic failure in so many ways that I'm declaring it my spring break and withdrawing it from the ABC record (I'm the record-keeper so it's legit). It started off mostly innocent but quickly spiraled out of control. Last Friday I went out to dinner and a few drinks with Jessica and her friends from Boston. I behaved wonderfully at dinner, ordering the marinated portabella sandwich in salad form from Leaf Cafe. If you are a local or just plan on being in Charleston soon I highly recommend this great little restaurant. The food was delightful and they were very accommodating to my Sally Albright-esque order (When Harry Met Sally, anyone?), not to mention I didn't break the bank. I stuck to my red wine and vodka-waters but before I knew it I was having a dance party by myself and taking shots that I'm about 99% positive contained some sort of sugary substance. Hello, hangover! No worries though, it was just one night and I had such a good time that I wasn't going to beat myself up over it. But then we found ourselves eating at Anson the next night, and I think it would have been virtually impossible to order something without one of my off-limits foods. Carl actually used to work at Anson before he started with DNR and I'm very familiar with the deliciousness that they have to offer. Not ordering one of their specialties would have been a crime.

To make a long story short, we ate out one more time on Sunday and then when Louis and Aditi came into town I continued the trend, rounding the week off with a gluttonous trip to Nirlep with Carl for lunch today. Oh, and check out our Friday night:
White Cheddar popcorn to share, Carl's Choco Taco, and my Mrs. Fields cookie-wich to enjoy while watching Our Idiot Brother (very funny!) and In Time (blah- disappointing). 
To top it all off, I've only worked out twice this week. In my defense I was feeling sick on Thursday and Friday and still pretty tired today so I thought it best to take it easy. I'm not sure if it's bad allergies because of all the crazy pollen we have, or if my body is simply retaliating for me having treated it like a pile of stinky socks over the past week, or maybe all my work stress is catching up with me. Who knows! The good news is I'm feeling much better and ready to turn over a new leaf as I embark on Week 12 tomorrow.

The take home message for me with all of my blunders over the past week is that I've got a lot of room to grow when it comes to eating in social situations or eating out in general. It's frustrating that most restaurants don't offer foods that are good for us, aside from the occasional boring side salad. I also have an "if you're gonna go, go all out" mentality when it comes to most things, so I figure if I'm going to cheat it may as well be in a big way, as evidenced in the picture above. I need to work on that because it's hard and also incredibly boring to avoid being social, but I also don't want to compromise my diet in such a huge way every time I do. Tough stuff!

I hope everyone has a wonderful St. Patrick's Day, and I'll be back tomorrow to share my Week 12 ABC pick!

No comments:

Post a Comment