Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Winning the Lottery

Before you get too excited, we didn't win the lottery- shucks. You've got to play to win, and after working in customer service at a grocery store that sold lottery tickets through high school I vowed never to play. I cringe to think about how much money the regular customers lost week after week. Not worth it for one in a gazillion odds! On the drive to work the other day they were talking about a recent winner on the radio and I found myself thinking about what I would do if I won a million dollars and, sadly, how quickly and easily I could spend it all. I'm not sure if it would even be enough to justify quitting my job. I'd definitely take a leave of absence, travel, pay off all of our debt and the debts of our immediate family members, buy a new house, and invest the rest for the benefit of future little Bussells. Just like that it'd be gone!

Where am I going with all this? Well, the other day Carl and I brought in the mail to find a $400 refund check from the closing costs of our mortgage last year. YAHOO!! We had a brief moment of excitement and then started brainstorming possibilities for our "free" money: a weekend trip, a new glass door for our condo, a roof rack for the Subaru, have a few things framed, put it towards our mortgage, car loan, student loans, savings, etc. I got really depressed at how easily it would get sucked into either the black hole of debt or something small-ish that we were planning on getting at some point anyways. It's a shame how easy it is to spend money and how boring it is to have to be a responsible adult! Although who knows, we still could decide to put it towards 1600 gumballs (the 25 cent variety) or 40 cheap bottles of wine, or something far more worthless and unnecessary, yet tangible and exciting. Any suggestions? And no, we won't give it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment