Thursday, January 26, 2012

Recipe Thursday: Cheese-less Pizza

Hi! Today is Day 4 of my cheese detox. I'm not going to lie, it's been really hard so far. For instance, last night we were going to go out for Mexican (don't worry, it's okay to eat out in this instance because being with my family qualifies as a special occasion in my book) but I knew that I couldn't be within a 20 foot radius of queso dip without diving head first into the queso vat that I always imagine they keep in the kitchens of all Mexican restaurants. Maybe in a few weeks or months I'll have the willpower to just say no to liquid crack, but I've got a ways to go until I reach that point. We opted instead for Chinese, cuisine that (thankfully) relies much less heavily on cheese to make delicious meals. Today we went to the gyro shop where Lauren works and I was feeling pretty proud of myself for ordering my veggie gyro with no feta, when about halfway through my bag of chips I suddenly realized that I had gotten Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips. Big bummer! Somehow, despite all of my painstaking efforts to avoid cheese I managed to pick the one cheesy variety of chips without even thinking about it. Apparently I'm going to have to be more careful.

Anyways, for today's recipe I wanted to share with you the delicious pizza that I made without a single shred of cheese. We had a little make-your-own pizza buffet going on Monday night:

You can tell from the pretty granite counter tops that this isn't our kitchen- but we can dream!
I drooled a little as I watched my family load their pizzas up with mozzarella and parmesan but I stayed strong. Here's my naked pizza:


It was actually really good! I topped it with jalapenos, pineapple, basil, spinach, tomato, sun-dried tomatoes, and red pepper. One nice thing about cheese-less pizza was that I didn't end up with the nasty lump of hard- to- digest cheese sitting in the pit my stomach for about an hour afterwards that normally defines my pizza eating experience. Even better, I still had room for a special dessert:

Spiked hot chocolate with extra mallow bits! Delightful.


No comments:

Post a Comment